The Ultimate Guide to NHL Betting

The Ultimate Guide to NHL Betting

Hockey season is just around the corner, which means massive opportunities for sports bettors to get in on the action. The best part about NHL betting is that the market is softer than NBA or NFL. That means there are a lot more opportunities to find good value bets.

Also, not a lot of people bet on hockey. Hence, your scope is much more significant when finding profitable bets. However, this doesn’t mean it’s easy. NHL betting is still highly competitive, and you need to know what you’re doing if you want to have success at it.

Don’t worry; we’ll break down everything you need to know to have an enjoyable time betting on the sport!

Know The Type of Bets You Can Make

Before starting wagering on the NHL, you must know the primary bets you can make. Why? Because there are different types of bets available, there are various strategies that’ll work best for each one.

The following are the most common you’ll find in every sportsbook:

  • Moneyline: This bet is the most basic way to wager on an NHL game. All you need to do is pick a team with the better NHL odds at a set price, and if they win, you collect your winnings.
  • Over/Under: This bet doesn’t rely on who wins or loses. Instead, you’re predicting whether the total number of goals scored by both teams will be more than or less than a specific number. So, for example, if a match between the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins is set at 5.0, and you think they will score more than that number, then you’d have to bet the over. So, if the combined score is 6.0 goals or more, you win.
  • Spread: This bet involves picking a team that’s either giving away or receiving a specific number of goals. That team must either not lose by more than that amount or win by more than that total.
  • Prop Bets: These bets are where the fun begins. You can bet on shot totals, save totals, total goals scored in regulation time, total power-play opportunities, team scoring first or last, etc.

As you can see, there are plenty of ways to place a bet on the NHL. Learn each type of bet and how it works before placing any money on the line. Some require more strategy than others, so be sure to research as much as possible before betting big bucks!

Find The Right Sportsbook

Once you know the bets you can make in the NHL, it’s time to find somewhere to bet. There are thousands of sportsbooks on the internet, and choosing one is overwhelming. Generally, you want a sportsbook that offers the best odds and prices.

Compare the odds for each team at various sites and take your pick. Don’t forget to look for promotions such as bonuses or free bets too!

Build A Bankroll

After finding a sportsbook, your next step is to fund your account. This step is where most people go wrong because they make the mistake of betting too much, too soon. Give yourself time to learn about the league and its players before you bet on games.

Only put in the amount that you are comfortable with losing. If things start well, then increase your bets. Always set a goal for how much money you want to win by the end of the season. So that if you don’t meet it, stop gambling altogether for a while or increase your bets again. Remember that even though it’s exciting when you win or lose big at first, addiction can take over quickly if not controlled.

Choose The Team to Bet On

Hockey isn’t like basketball or football, where a spread is necessary, and there’s higher scoring. In hockey, you’re betting on who wins. And since not all teams are created equal, you must know which ones to bet on.

And you can do that by looking at the odds for each team. This implied probability gives you an idea of how likely one team is to win over another. For example, if your chosen sportsbook says Team A has a 60% chance of winning and Team B has 40%, then you would want to bet on Team A. The higher percentage means they’re more likely to succeed.

It would be best to consider other factors when deciding what team to place your bets on. For example, you should take into account recent performance (a 10-game winning streak versus one game), injuries (a key player out injured), streaks (overcoming adversity), and coaching changes.

Takeaway

Always stay on top of the news and ensure you know each team’s line-up before placing your bets. Remember that, like any other sport, NHL games can be unpredictable and have a lot of upsets. One day it might seem like everything is going right for your favorite team, and then suddenly, they go into a slump. Therefore, it’s essential to keep tabs on them throughout the season if you want to bet on them because things change very quickly in hockey!

Share this post

Explore More Sports Stories
nfl-goalposts | Sports Talk Line

NFL Training Camps & NFL Dates

The time for “tagged” players to sign a long-term deal has passed. They will play this deal under their 1 year tagged

Thank you for being here – We would like to ask for your help. Sports Talk Line’s independent sports journalism is a unique offering in the world of sports. As we bring you independent sports content WE MADE A CHOICE and unlike many sports news organizations, we have chosen a methodology to operate that allows every reader access to this much needed independent reporting. We are sports fans ourselves, not suits on 5th avenue.

Every contribution, large or small, directly supports independent sports journalism. Your support is what allows our incredible group of freelance writers to continue to hone their craft and bring you accurate sports news. But there is always a new month. We have to continue to receive support from our readers in order to keep this alive.

Help us make independent sports journalism an ongoing reality. Click here to Support Sports Talk Line for as little as $1 – only a moment of your time to help keep independent sports journalism alive  – Thank you.

Leave a Reply



Sports Talk Line Is a Free Global Platform Bringing People Together Through Sports

  • Access Pro Fantasy Perks
  • Personalize Your Sports Feed
  • Engage With Your Peers, Athletes, and Opinion Leaders
  • Find Out What’s People Are Talking About

STL Login

sign in to enjoy a better experience!

or just X out and do it later