Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton

Marcos Bustos Shines As Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton 5-1 On A Wet Night Gloomy Night From Star Light Stadium

Fans may have left wet but they didn’t leave disappointed as Pacific FC thrashes FC Edmonton 5-1 Tuesday night. In front of 2548, Marco Bustos scored a brace for the home side en route to an impressive victory.

“It shows in the direction the club and the league are going, people want to come watch Pacific FC! Obviously, it’s a testament to what we have done, being at the top of the table all year, and we play good football.” Said Marco Bustos about the support the team got on a wet Tuesday evening.

Lineup News And Notes

After clinching a playoff spot on Sunday Pacific FC coach Pa-Modou Kah would go with another strong lineup Tuesday night. The team is still looking to secure the top spot in the Canadian Premier League Standings. After returning to the lineup last week off the bench in a 2-1 loss to Cavalry Marco Bustos was back in the starting lineup and wearing the captain’s armband.

Pacific FC Lineup

“It’s a great feeling, obviously last week I was able to get in as a sub, which was nice but getting my official first start was nice,” Marco said after the match Tuesday night.

Head coach Alan Koch would go with a 4-4-2 formation having relative success against Pacific FC this season. Leading scorer Easton Ongaro would try and increase upon his 6 goals playing up top with Tobias Warschewski.

FC Edmonton Lineup

Pacific FC Comes Out Fast And Furious In The 1st Half

The Tridents would kick things off to start the first half and control play nicely on the slick pitch. Pacific would try and work down the right side with Bustos and Kunle Dada-Luke but was unable to cut it successfully into danger. He would try to float it in instead on the next run. It was a brilliant ball and Alejandro Diaz would head it easily past Connor James for the early 1-0 lead in the 6th minute.

Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton | Sports Talk Line

The home side would stay relentless after opening the scoring and control the majority of possession as the match moved into the 12th minute. Anytime FC Edmonton would try and string together a series of passes, the home side was one step quicker in front of the ball or stronger on the challenge. Some nice work would lead to a shot from Ollie Bassett But it wouldn’t trouble the FC Edmonton Keeper. The first corner of the match would go to Pacific FC in the 15th minute. Bassett would curl it in but the home side was called for a foul.

FC Edmonton was able to string together several minutes of possession before turning it over once again. Pacific would counter-attack quickly and win another corner kick in the 20th minute. A great ball in from Bassett to the back post and Manny Aparicio would double the lead for the home side. He was able to beat his man and again James had no chance and it was 2-0.

Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton

FC Edmonton would pick up the intensity and win a free kick in the attacking zone. The ball was floated into a group of 5 purple shirts and it was easily cleared. A mistake from Dada-Luke would send it back behind the net for an Edmonton corner. It was sent to the back corner of the box and headed back into Ongaro. His header was popped up and over the net and Pacific FC would take over. After a turnover, Dada-Luke was called for a foul and both teams would trade turnovers.

When play calmed back down the Tridents regained control. They were in no rush with the 2-0 lead and were easily winning back the ball when they were dispossessed. A careless tackle from Bassett in the 27th minute on Saah “Tboy” Fayia would see the first yellow card of the match. Fraser Aird would send it long into the box but it was cleared and Pacific FC would get things back under control. An errant long pass would give Edmonton FC a goal kick in the 30th minute.

Connor’s delivery from between the stick was poor to start the first half and it would be turned over immediately. The back and forth play would pick up again before FC Edmonton would get their best chance of the 1st half. A cross into the box looking for Gonzalez but it was defended well. The header dropped right into the box before being cleared downfield by the home side in the 33rd minute. After a nice switch from Bustos to Terran Campbell. He would return the pass to Bustos but his shot was wide of the far post.

Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton

Pacific FC would stay on the attack and this time the captain would make no mistake. After losing it briefly FC Edmonton would push forward but have stolen. The ball would come to Bustos and he would streak downfield 65 yards and take on the defender down the right side. He made one quick move and tucked it with his weak foot into the far side of the net. It was a 3-0 lead for the home side in the 41st minute.

It was almost 4-0 before the half ended as Bustos would fire one off the crossbar minutes later. There was no added time to the first half and Pacific FC would go into the half with a commanding lead.

A Tough 2nd Half For The Visiting Side As Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton

Alan Koch would make the only changes at halftime bringing on Prince Amanda for Gonzalez and Antony Caceres for Hunter Gorskie. Pacific FC would pick up where they left off in the 1st half and control the play. A long ball for Terran Campbell would run out of touch for a goal kick. FC Edmonton would take over possession and win a free-kick. It was played back before the visiting side would win another chance in the 50th minute. It was a nice ball into Ongaro but he wasn’t able to get a good shot away and it was cleared.

It seemed to be a wake-up call because the Tridents would put this match out of reach. Campbell would beat his man down the left side and keep the ball in play. His cross was cleared but only as far as Aparicio who fired a fantastic volley for the 4-0 lead in the 52nd-minute mark. The pressure would keep coming as a cross into the box was just cleared just off the line by Ramon Soria.

Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton

It was starting to become a shooting gallery as Diaz would be sent in on a chance. He would try and chip it over James but it was over the net. It was starting to get Fancy for the home side up 4 goals heading into the 56th minute. After a foul by Pacific FC, Campbell would get too close to the free-kick and be shown a yellow card for dissent. The free-kick would run all the way through the box to Amanda and he would win a corner for FC Edmonton. It was fisted away from keeper Callum Irving who wasn’t very busy so far on the evening.

The rough play would continue as Aparicio would also get into the books with a hard foul on Fayia. FC Edmonton would try and move the ball down the pitch with free kicks but the final ball into the box was cleared away. Edmonton would stay on the attack and cross the ball into the box but it was easily smothered by Irving. Pacific FC would make their first changes of the match bringing on Victor Blasco and Matteo Polisi for Terran Campbell and Ollie Bassett in the 62nd minute.

With fresh legs on the pitch, the home side would once again take control of the play. Blasco would show off his fancy footwork with some nice spins down the left side. He spun one too many times and ended up turning it back over. Caceres would sprint down the right side but tried an early cross that was easily cleared away. FC Edmonton had no answer for the Tridents. Bustos would get free down the left side and dribble into the box before being taken down by Fayia in the 68th minute. He would calmly slot it home for his 2nd of the match and 7th of the season.

Pacific FC Thrashes FC Edmonton

Alan Koch would make one more change after the goal replacing Ongaro with Matthew Durrans in the 70th minute. He would instantly pick up a foul and Pacific FC could start the time-wasting early. A foul on Blasco in the 72nd minute and head coach Pa-Modou Kah would go to his bench once again. Paul Amedume would make his debut replacing Abdou Samake while Gianni Dos Santos would come on for Wero Diaz. FC Edmonton would win a free-kick and Aird would deliver it into the box. It was popped up and kept in play but Irving made the decision to grab it and slow things down for the home side with just 15 minutes remaining.

Some luck for the visiting squad as they would win a corner in the 77th minute. It was taken short and rattled around in the box before being cleared for a corner on the other side. It was initially cleared but Bustos would get his arm on it trying to clear it out of the top of the box. A penalty shot was awarded and Fraser Aird would make no mistake from the spot to get one back for FC Edmonton. It was 4-1 for the home side with 12 minutes plus added time to go.

FC Edmonton Get One Back Late In The 2nd Half

More changes for both sides as Robert Boskovic would come on for Kadin Chung for the Tridents. Koch would make a change shortly after replacing Adam Najem with Paris Gee. FC Edmonton would win a foul deep in the attacking half. It was a poor set-piece once again and the Tridents would take over and win a throw down the right side. The final substitution of the match would see Aird come off in the 83rd minute for Gabriel Boakye. Pacific would almost score the 6th goal as they looked to pile things on late in front of their home crowds.

Blasco would do all he could to keep the ball as far away from his net as possible in the final 5 minutes. He would do some nice work before winning a free-kick. Time would tick away and the home side would win a corner kick. It was taken shortly as we moved closer to the 90th minute. Against the run of play, FC Edmonton would hit a late post on a shot from Warschewski. There was no added time to the second have as the referee would end the suffering for the visiting side.

Marco Bustos On His Performance For Pacific FC In The 5-1 Win

I spoke with Marco Bustos after the impressive 5-1 victory over FC Edmonton Tuesday night. I asked him about how he was feeling getting back into the lineup and contributing with 2 goals. Also how important Pa-Modou Kah has been since he took over as head coach for Pacific FC.

“I woke in the morning feeling really good about the day today. I told my dad, were going to win today by 4 or 5 goals and I’m going to score 2. His big message to me was, you had this injury, let’s put it past you, go out and enjoy it and play with a smile. To cap it off with 2 goals was nice for sure and the win which was more important.”

“Everyday is a pleasure. Him being one of my mentors has allowed me to express myself more. I am in the best form prior to the injury I have ever had and a lot of that is thanks to the coach to push me everyday to get better, the standard that he holds everyday… its all in the model and style that he wants to play. He’s obviously a young coach to and he’s growing and helping us grow.”

I asked Marco about the big match coming up this weekend against York United. Of course, I had to check in on how Vancouver Whitecaps keeper on loan, Isaac Boehmer is doing during his time on the island.

“We need 3 points if we want to continue to fight for that home playoff spot, we need to g in their with that intensity and the mentality that we aren’t coming out of it without 3 points… We are so close to getting that 1st or 2nd spot… If we just believe than anything is possible really.”

“He’s loving it, Now I get to score on him which is nice… he’s a great guy to have in the locker room. he’s a humble guy and he comes in and puts in the work. He’s a very good goalie and he’s a good pro. He has a smile on his face everyday and people see that…He’s takin this step to come be the backup goalie here and he’s learning.”

Sports Talk Line Network And The Canadian Premier League

Pacific FC thrashes FC Edmonton and vaulted up to the top of the Canadian Premier League standings. They will try and keep up their winning ways when they host York United on Saturday, October 30th from Starlight Stadium. This will be followed up with a huge Canadian Championship clash against Toronto FC.

Make sure to check out the Sports Talk Line Network for more soccer coverage as Pacific FC continues their run and the Vancouver Whitecaps try and push for a playoff spot.

Share this post

Explore More Sports Stories

Thank you for being here – We would like to ask for your help. Sports Talk Line’s independent sports journalism is a unique offering in the world of sports. As we bring you independent sports content WE MADE A CHOICE and unlike many sports news organizations, we have chosen a methodology to operate that allows every reader access to this much needed independent reporting. We are sports fans ourselves, not suits on 5th avenue.

Every contribution, large or small, directly supports independent sports journalism. Your support is what allows our incredible group of freelance writers to continue to hone their craft and bring you accurate sports news. But there is always a new month. We have to continue to receive support from our readers in order to keep this alive.

Help us make independent sports journalism an ongoing reality. Click here to Support Sports Talk Line for as little as $1 – only a moment of your time to help keep independent sports journalism alive  – Thank you.

Leave a Response

Leave a Reply