Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Whitecaps Vs Sporting KC Hold On For A Tough 2-1 Victory

The Whitecaps vs Sporting KC saw an important 2-1 victory for the home side at BC Place. Two goals in the first half from Ryan Gauld and Russell Teibert would give the Whitecaps the lead after the 36th minute. A late first-half goal from Johnny Russell would make the second half interesting but the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC were able to hold on for the important win.

Lineup News and Notes

The Vancouver Whitecaps would make 4 changes to the squad that fell 4-1 to the Seattle Sounders. Maxime Crepeau would get back in between the sticks and would see the return of both Ranko Veselinovic and Erik Godoy as a back third. They would be joined by Florian Jungwirth as Vanni Sartini would run a 3-4-1-2 formation once again. Russell Teibert would wear the Captain’s armband and be joined in the midfield by Leonard Owusu. Javain Brown and Bruno Gaspar would play on the wings for the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC Lineups

Ryan Gauld would hold his normal spot and look to provide service to both Cristian Dajome and the red hot Brian White. Vancouver had options off the bench as well with Deiber Caicedo and Lucas Cavallini.

Sporting KC and Peter Vermes would go with a 4-3-3 formation Sunday evening at BC Place. Tim Melia would see Graham Zusi, Ilie Sanchez, Andreu Fontas, and Luis Martins from right to left. Gadi Kinda, Jose Mauri, and Remi Walter would play in the midfield with Daniel Salloi Khiry Shelton and fellow Scotsman Johnny Russell on the attack.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC Lineups

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC Come Out Strong But The Road Side Punches Back Late

Vancouver would kick things off to start the first half and be under immediate pressure from Sporting KC. They would win the ball but a long pass from Jungwirth gave the ball back to SKC. The pressure by Vancouver would continue and Leonard Owusu would find Brian White streaking into the box, he was dispossessed before he could get a shot away. Kansas would come back on the attack and win the first corner of the match in the 4th minute. It was taken short and Bruno Gaspar would win a foul on the cross to the back of the box. The Whitecaps would take over possession before a hard foul on Owusu by Ilie.

Owusu was very slow to get up and limped to the sideline. Play resumed in the 8th minute as the ball would be played up to White. He would win a throw down the right side but Vancouver would play it all the way back to Crepeau. The delivery was long and ran to Sporting KC and the away side would get a chance to control play. Vancouver kept the form tight at the back and SKC was forced to play it around the back waiting for space. The game remained scoreless as it moved into the 11th minute.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC | Sports Talk Line
1st Half Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Martins would get a talking to from referee Silviu Petrescu after a hard foul on Bruno Gaspar. The physicality would pick with another foul on the sideline. The Whitecaps would turn it over after an errant pass looking for Gauld. The Scotsman would stay in the action with a sliding tackle that was called for a foul. Sporting KC would move in again in the 15th minute after some nice work from Salloi. He would win a corner kick and it was taken short once again, Fontas would head it in on the net but it was easy save for Maxime Crepeau.

The visiting side would continue the attack after a mistake from Teibert, he would turn it over and Johnny Russel would try a shot from outside the box. It was blocked and came back to Martins but his floating cross was grabbed by Crepeau. It was all SKC to start the match as the Whitecaps couldn’t get any real possession. Vancouver would win a free kick in the 19th minute but it was cleared before it got into the box. The teams would trade possession back and forth for the next couple of minutes as the play slowed down.

The Whitecaps would open the scoring against the run of play after a turnover from Sporting KC, The ball would bounce around for Owusu who would find Javain Brown out wide down the left. His cross was headed back to Ryan Gauld who stabbed it past Tim Melia for the 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute. It was a great start for the Vancouver Whitecaps and they almost got a second goal. Gauld once again would send a shot on net and Melia would dive out to save it for a corner.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Gauld would send it into the box but it was punched away from danger from Melia. Sporting KC tried to counter quickly but a great tackle from Godoy would stop the chance and Vancouver controlled once again in the 25th minute. After some poor passing sporting KC would take over once again and Gadi Kinda would try a shot from distance. It was saved easily by Crepeau who tried to get things going quickly upfield. Owusu was tackled and the ball would run out for a 28th-minute throw for Vancouver.

Owusu would once again go down to the pitch clutching his left leg. He was okay to continue after getting some treatment.

 | Sports Talk Line
Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Martins would go down for SKC that would halt play for several more minutes. Vancouver would come out on the attack once play resumed as Gaspar would win a corner in the 33rd minute. Gauld would send it into the near post and Melia had to be sharp to punch it out for another corner. Gauld would deliver to the back post this time but Brian White couldn’t get a good header on it and it would go out for a throw. It was played into the box once again but Sporting KC was able to clear and counter.

They were able to get some sustained pressure in the Whitecaps end but couldn’t find that final ball. Vancouver would take over briefly in the 36th minute but pass it directly out of bounds to give it back to SKC. Teibert would steal it and send in Ryan Gauld and Brian White but it would be Teibert that would capitalize. The ball would come back to the Canadian Captain at the top of the box and he would smash home a beauty off the post and into the net for the 2-0 lead in the 36th minute.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Vancouver would remain pressing with the 2-0 lead but Sporting KC was able to break the press and work it out wide to Russell. He would cross it into the box but it was right to Crepeau and Vancouver could slow things down once again. Another turnover and Sporting KC would take over in the 40th minute looking for some kind of life. Gauld would do his best to win it back but was eventually called for a foul on Kinda. An errant pass to Shelton followed by a long delivery from Crepeau would trade possession.

We neared the final minutes of the half with the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC holding onto their 2-0 lead. A quick switch from Salloi to find Johnny Russell and he was given far too much room down the right side. He was able to walk in and curl a beautiful shot past Crepeau and make it 2-1 in the 43rd minute. It was a tough break for the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC to give up a goal late in the half.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC 1st Half Action

The 4th official would signal an added 3 minutes of play and the physicality would pick up. Erik Godoy was called for a hard foul on Kinda before Dajome was taken down by Ilie who was shown a yellow card for his effort. A last-ditch chance from Walter but his shot from distance was well over the net and didn’t trouble Crepeau. Salloi would go down on the play which would delay the first half but things would end with the Whitecaps leading 2-1.

Whitecaps Hold On In The 2nd Half

One change for each side to start the 2nd half as Janio Bikel would replace Leonard Owusu for the Whitecaps and Roger Espinoza would replace Mauri for SKC. Sporting would kick things off to start the 2nd half of action and win an early fee kick after an Erik Godoy foul. It was taken quickly and Johnny Russell would work down the left side and win a corner kick for SKC. It was taken short to Johnny Russell but his pass for Salloi was a bit to heavy and ran out of touch. It was all the visiting side to start the second half of play for the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC.

 | Sports Talk Line
Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Martins would cross it in from the left side and Ranko Veselinovic was able to head it away from danger in the 49th minute. The Whitecaps would take control of things and Dajome would win a foul on the right side, just over half. Gauld would deliver it to the back of the box but it was cleared before Ranko could get on the end of it. Vancouver would knock it out of touch for an SKC throw and regroup. It was a quick attack for Johnny Russell but his cross was blocked by Jungwirth before he was able to clear.

Vancouver would look to play it up field but Brian White was called for a foul on Kinda and shown a yellow card for his ensuing clearance of the ball in the 51st minute. Sporting was eager to play set pieces short and it would eventually come to Fontas but his cross into the box was poor and Vancouver could counter.

Javain Brown would almost get on the end of a pass down the left side but he was able to knock off the defender for a throw. A nice give and go from Gauld and Brown but they were forced back. It would come out to Brown once again but his cross was poor and easily cleared by SKC. Godoy was able to do some good work to win a foul and the ball back but the Whitecaps would turn it over. Sporting was playing it around the back but a clearance by Espinoza was right off the face of White and he would be down for several minutes.

 | Sports Talk Line
Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

After play resumed in the 57th-minute Sporting would take control of things once again. Vancouver was playing in a very low block defending their 2-1 lead but was able to win a throw. It was given away immediately but after some nice work on the press, Vancouver would win another throw. It was a scrambling pace as both teams were making mistakes and trading it back and forth as we moved into the 60th minute of play. A chance for Vancouver as Brown would cross it in looking for White but Melia was able to snag it out of mid-air.

Sporting KC would go right on the attack and try and chip it into the box. It was a bit too heavy and Shelton couldn’t get a head on it before it ran out of touch. Vancouver would make their second substitution in the 62nd minute, bringing on Marcus Godinho for Bruno Gaspar. Sporting KC would try and attack off the restart but the shot from Espinoza was wide of the net for a goal kick for Maxime Crepeau. He would send it downfield and back to SKC who would win a corner kick.

 | Sports Talk Line
Whitecaps vs Sporting KC 2nd Half Action

Jungwirth was forced to come in and send it out of the back and once again Sporting tried to take things short. It was stolen by Vancouver who tried to counter quickly but the pass from Gauld was too long for White and ran to Melia. The score remained 2-1 for the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC as things moved into the 66th minute of play. The teams would trade throws down the left side before a long ball from each keeper. It was fine for the Whitecaps who were happy to keep the ball far away from their net.

Zusi would look to send in a cross but it was easily cleared by Godoy to Dajome before he was pushed down by Fontas. The Caps were able to tick off several minutes as they worked down the left side. Some nice work but Ryan Gauld was displaced off the ball and SKC came back quickly. An early cross from Martins was too close to Crepeau and he was able to grab it and stop any danger. Dajome would win a foul the other way after getting knocked down by Walter. He would be shown a yellow card for his efforts.

Ryan Gauld would take the free-kick from a dangerous spot on the right side. It was sent to the back post and cleared by SKC before a second chance too Brown was too hard for him to get a good header on. It would go out for a goal kick and Sporting would take over once again. The Whitecaps were playing well defensively and forced a long pass by Zusi to Russel. It would go out for a goal kick and Vancouver would make more changes bringing on Tosaint Ricketts for White and Deiber Caicedo for Dajome in the 73rd minute.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Sporting would control play but Vancouver was very happy to let them play it around the back. The Whitecaps would win things back and get a chance but Deiber Caicedo would have his shot blocked from the top of the box. The counter was quick for SKC and they would win a corner after a poor decision from Brown to head it back out of play. It was cleared by Tosaint Ricketts and Sporting would remain in possession with Vancouver starting to drop their line. The high line would lead to a mistake and Florian Jungwirth would get a rare chance to fire one from distance… It was a distance away from the target.

Ranko Veselinovic would go down after a challenge by Shelton in the 78th minute and he would stay down before being replaced by Jake Nerwinski. Sporting KC would step up the pressure in the final 10 minutes as they would win a corner. It was delivered to the top of the box and Vancouver was able to clear momentarily before Brown was called for a foul. Petrescu would give a free kick to Sporting and it came to Walter at the top of the box. He would try from distance but his shot was well over the net for a goal kick.

Vancouver would win a free kick of their own after Johnny Russell took down Gauld. They were able to slow things down as we moved into the 84th minute of action. A ball into the box was cleared and Sporting was able to take over once again. Some nervous moments from Tim Melia but he was able to clear downfield and Nerwinksi was called for a foul on Zusi in the 85th minute and shown a yellow card. The Free kick was too close to Crepeau and he was quick to snatch it out of mid-air.

The match moved into the 87th minute with the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC holding onto the 2-1 lead. Nervous moments for the home side as Zusi would deliver a ball into the box that was cleared. SKC would look for a long ball but it would run out for a goal kick and allow the Whitecaps to kill more time on the clock. Brown and Gauld would try and work down the left side but a pass for the Scotsman was too heavy and SKC would come right back on the attack with time running out.

 | Sports Talk Line
Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Several attempts into the box and Vancouver had to be sharp to clear the danger. The Referee had put his whistle away as a hard challenge on Caicedo wasn’t called. Sporting was starting to get desperate as Espinoza would try a long ball that ran out for a goal kick. The 4th official would signal 4 minutes of stoppage time as Vancouver looked to get back in the win column. They would have to defend a corner as Godinho was forced to clear out the ball. The ball was sent into the near post and flicked by Espinoza but no one was on the other end.

Sporting KC would continue pressing looking for the tieing goal but some great defensive work by Bikel would win the ball back for the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC. Ricketts would win a free-kick as the home side watched the clock slowly tick away. The Southbsiders and supporters could sense a win with just 2 minutes of additional time to play. A goal kick for Vancouver and Crepeau would send it downfield but SKC was right back in. A cross from Russell but Godhino would play Martins perfectly and it would go out for another goal kick.

The time couldn’t go quick enough and Bikel would literally take one for the team. He was kicked and Vancouver could all but smell the 3 points. One final kick and the whistle would blow on a Whitecaps vs Sporting KC 2-1 victory.

Post Match Thoughts And Media

All business as Vanni Sartini and company keep up with the Western Conference Playoff race. I asked Vanni his thoughts on the squad’s performance, “We did very well. I think it’s the demonstration again that if you work very well during the week, then the work pays off. The week in training was fantastic. The mentality at the beginning was good, we knew that we were playing against a very good team, but I think we’re a good team too. And lately, we had this more of this awareness and everything was very good.”

“The pressure, we forced them to not having their usual play in between lines, they had to play long ball, we won the ball. We were very, I would say fast, you know to break the line and attack the space so that’s the reason why we were two goals up after 35 minutes.

“[In the second half], we did well, we didn’t change. We didn’t want to be defensive, we just wanted to be, to keep working and pressing high, we adjusted the rotation, the slide where they had to play this long ball – basically, the play where we conceded the goal. I think everyone did fantastically and I want to praise the guys that came on. Janio did very well, Marcus Godinho did very well, Tos, Deiber, and Jake too. To see that we are a team of 25 players, we’re not a team of 11 players.”

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Russell Teibert spoke about his goal and playing in front of the home fans, “Just took a shot on the target and like Tos said it was either going to Kitsilano or it was hitting the back of the net.”

“I think we have to take care of business in our home games, and we pride ourselves in playing in front of our fans because everybody knows what we’ve been through this year and the year before. We hear them, they’re loud, and it’s nice, you know, to sing “Stand By Me” with them after the games. It was Tos’ idea and it’s an outstanding idea and it’s a really cool moment between all the players and the fans and the whole organization.”

Post Match Media Whitecaps Vs Sporting KC

Last but definitely not least was Ryan Gauld who spoke about the progression of the club as they try and secure a playoff berth. “I think it was a good performance, very important three points. We were aware that yesterday all the teams kind of fighting for the playoff spots won. So we knew that we had to get the three points tonight so that we didn’t lose any ground on them. It was against a tough team, they’re a very good side with some really good players. So that was a huge three points for us.”

The Unnamed Moments Of The Match

Lots of great things to take away from the Whitecaps 2-1 win at BC Place. It was a great pride night hosted by the Whitecaps and many reasons for fans to leave happy from the match. An amazing goal from Captain Russell Teibert that definitely wasn’t a backpass. And as always lots of fun from the media and Twitter!

The Unnamed Goal Of The Match

No surprise here as The Unnamed Goal Of The Match goes to Russell Teibert so let’s take a look at it from another angle thanks to Whitecaps sideline reporter Sarita Patel.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

The Unnamed Interview Of The Match

Sometimes we get the players switched at the last second and tonight was no different. The only thing is I was really looking forward to asking Mr. Confirm a question. Apparently, he prefers to go by Will so probably for the best.

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC: Next Up Will Confirm

The Unnamed Second Job Of The Match

…Wait what?

Whitecaps vs Sporting KC

Sports Talk Line And The Vancouver Whitecaps

With the 2-1 victory for the Whitecaps vs Sporting KC, Vancouver stays right in the Western Conference playoff race. With just 5 matches remaining there is very little room for error if the Caps want to play after decision day. Make sure to follow Sports Talk Line for all the latest news on the Vancouver Whitecaps as they fight for that last playoff spot.

It is a busy week as the Whitecaps travel down to take on the Portland Timbers on Wednesday, October 20th at Providence Park. They will head further south for a weekend match against the San Jose Earthquakes. Make sure to follow me on Twitter @JoshuaGriffith0 for the latest news and updates about your Vancouver Whitecaps.

Share this post

Explore More Sports Stories

Thank you for being here – We would like to ask for your help. Sports Talk Line’s independent sports journalism is a unique offering in the world of sports. As we bring you independent sports content WE MADE A CHOICE and unlike many sports news organizations, we have chosen a methodology to operate that allows every reader access to this much needed independent reporting. We are sports fans ourselves, not suits on 5th avenue.

Every contribution, large or small, directly supports independent sports journalism. Your support is what allows our incredible group of freelance writers to continue to hone their craft and bring you accurate sports news. But there is always a new month. We have to continue to receive support from our readers in order to keep this alive.

Help us make independent sports journalism an ongoing reality. Click here to Support Sports Talk Line for as little as $1 – only a moment of your time to help keep independent sports journalism alive  – Thank you.

Leave a Response

Leave a Reply